On 28-Oct-07, at 6:15 PM, Dan Farrell wrote:

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 17:59:05 -0400
Aaron Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

It sounds like what you really want to get is a Linksys WRT54GL[1]
that you can then flash with something like dd-wrt[2] or OpenWRT[3].

Aaron

Sure, you could do that, but then you have less flexibility later.  I
love being able to add network interfaces and such to my router.  I
dont' have to mess with flashing or such, and I can run gentoo on it
and upgrade til my little heart's content.

Oh, I totally agree on the flexibility (although those little things are pretty darn flexible all things considered). The biggest win for me was the incredible simplicity with setting them up. It's pretty much the same as the stock firmware but with a ton more options and capabilities.

The chip's a 200Mhz MIPS processor running it, so I suppose in theory you could cross compile something Gentoo for it if you wanted.

Most people go for this option, but there's definitely something good
to be said about the flexibility (and power!) of using a home-built
router from a second hand desktop.

My biggest stumbling block for this idea was that even though I have a decent understanding of all the software pieces that would go into it, I don't have any experience setting it all up, let alone securing it, so there'd be a very steep learning curve for me.

I've got my second GL set up as a Wireless repeater which is pretty complex behaviour for the few screen options I had to set up.

It's basically a power vs simplicity tradeoff, but if you're just getting into setting up wireless I'm guessing simplicity is the way to go ;).

Aaron
--
"In the last, lorn fight
'gainst the fall of long night,