On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 17:29 -0500, Eric Martin wrote:

> Why copy?  when stuff gets updated you'll have to copy again.  I'd
> suggest making a symlink.  Also, I see the timestamps and sizes are the
> same, but are the md5's the same?  If not, these aren't the same file.
> </random longshot suggestion>

Copy is what the emerge does. So when it's updated you get the fresh one
for free.

Actually, originally it was (suggested) that localtime was a symlink.
This was later changed.  The reasoning for the change are as follows.

/etc/init.d/clock is run pretty early in the init process; before all
filesystems in /etc/fstab are mounted.  If /usr/share/zoneinfo is on a
filesystem that is not mounted when /etc/init.d/clock is run then it
will fail and ugly things will happen.  Therefore it's suggested what
instead of a symlink /etc/localtime should be a physical file on the
(root) filesystem.

Probably for most people this is not an issue but apparently it was for
some.