Florian Philipp wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 03:51 -0600, Dale wrote:
>
>> b.n. wrote:

>>> Thanks for your post! Thanks to you I just noticed that I never added
>>> smartd to my default profile... so I did yesterday.
>>>
>>> I found your exact same symptoms, on a SATA hard disk. I frankly have
>>> troubles in understanding the smartctl outputs (googled of course, but
>>> I'm confused about the meaning). What should I check for SMART symptoms
>>> of failure? Even in this thread, I didn't understand if those
>>> pre-failure symptoms are to take seriously or not.
>>>
>>> m.
>>>

>> Well, the best thing to do is to post any error messages you have
>> here.  I googled mine too but still was not sure what to make of the
>> info I was getting.  It sounded bad so I posted them here.  There are
>> some serious hardware gurus here and I was sure someone that had ran
>> into this before would clarify what was going on for me.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Dale
>>

> I recommend reading Google's analysis of SMART and HDD failures:
> http://labs.google.com/papers/disk_failures.pdf

A little over my head but I didn't see any mention of the errors mine
are reporting.  I even used find and it didn't see anything.
Interesting to read tho.  It seems like a lot of puter stuff, the
failures are moderate in the first few months then drop and don't rise
again until age really kicks in.  Seems like some things never change.

I have been looking at the following two drives.  About the same price
but different manufacturers.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822144422

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822148143

I wish I could just go ahead and build my new rig with SATA and all
that.  I just don't have the money saved up yet is all.

Thanks for the help tho.  Ideas and thoughts still welcome.

Dale