This morning I decided that it's finally time up update Gentoo to match
the new mobo & CPU installed several months ago.

First 2 attempts to boot from the LiveCD complained of an X
configuration error.  This didn't seem quite right as the video is
simply the ASUS M2A-VM HDMI's on mobo video.  However I did want a
command line and got it, so things were more or less OK.

The "less OK" part is that I wanted to use the following partition map:
  /dev/hda1   31 MB    /boot
  /dev/hda6   9.7 GB   /
  /dev/hda8   153 GB   /home
What I got was (if memory serves)
  /dev/sda1  /mnt/LiveCD
  /dev/hda6  /mnt/cdrom
as /mnt/cdrom was Read-Only, this precluded installing there.  So, I
rebooted several more times with the following result:

  NMI Watchdog detected LOCKUP on CPU 0
  CPU 0
  Modules linked in: siimage r8169 snd_hda_intel ...
  ... swapper Not tainted 2.6.19-gentoo-r5 #1
  Code: 7e f9 eb f2 c3 fa f0 ff 0f 79 09 f3 90 83 3f 00 7e f9 eb f2
  <0> Kernel panic - not syncing:L Aiee, killing interrupt handler

I've gotten this same NMI error the last 4 times I've booted -- even
using a second copy of the 2007.0 LiveCD that I happened to have.

Any suggestions of what to do?

Thanks.

David