> Christopher Copeland wrote:
>>
>> On 27 Nov 2007, at 10:19, Mick wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I have noticed this problem when I try to connect to two different
>>> machines in
>>> two different continents.  One is on cable (US) the other on ISDN ADSL
>>> (Greece).  In the evening and sometimes weekends ssh connections from
>>> my
>>> laptop to these two PCs are either taking ages or time out.  This is
>>> ssh
>>> connections to sshd which is listening to random ports in the 200+ or
>>> 12000+
>>> ranges.  If I eventually manage to connect the latency is ridiculous
>>> - up to
>>> 5 seconds!  Sometimes I enter a passwd, if I can get that far and
>>> then wait
>>> for hours with no response.  Eventually, I have to close the terminal.

<snip>

>> I've run across the same kind of issues on certain ISPs when using
>> non-standard ports for sshd. Given other connections (Gtalk) are
>> working, the first thing I would try in your position is to see if
>> there is a difference when using 22 versus your random port. With
>> certain ISPs in the UK I've found SSH connections to be unusable on
>> anything but the default port. Of course it has everything to do with
>> the "smart" traffic shaping at the ISP and there was nothing I could
>> do about it.
>> --
>> Christopher
>
> I also ran into something like this on a local network.  I corrected
> this by adding the remote systems to my hosts file and putting the entry
> in the host file on the remote system.  I'm not sure what affect this
> had but it worked like a charm after that.  I guess it lets each other
> know who the other is or something.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Dale

Hi Dale,

Your comment might actually indicate a problem with the DNS-server
involved. Configuring the server(s) in the "hosts" file would be one
solution.

Mick, do you use IP-addresses or hostnames when you try to connect?
If you are using hostnames, can you test with IP-addresses instead?

Kind regards,

Joost Roeleveld