On Sunday 2 December 2007, Mick wrote:

> > Try adding the following line to /etc/hosts:
> >
> > a.b.c.d  hostname.your.domain  hostname
> >
> > of course, replacing a.b.c.d with your correct ip address.
> >
> > I don't know whether this is related to your problem, but it usually
> > solves the domainname: (none) problem.
>
> Is this meant to be the LAN private address, or the Internet address
> of the host?

It depends. If you just need to solve the agetty banner problem which
prints "welcome to machinename.(none)", you can just use 127.0.0.1 or
eth0's address, and this always has solved all the problems for me until
now. Otherwise, you have to know what address the application uses to
identify the box. However, if in doubt, nothing stops you from adding
several lines that differ only in the ip address:

127.0.0.1 hostname.your.domain  hostname
10.0.0.1 hostname.your.domain  hostname
100.100.100.100 hostname.your.domain  hostname

etc.

NOTE: I don't know whether this is the correct way to do things. Many
times it works, but other, less clumsy, ways probably exist (I simply
haven't had the need to search them until now).