> > I'm actually able to emerge it, but it won't start with:
> >
> > $ skype
> > /usr/bin/skype: line 10: /opt/skype/skype: No such file or directory
> > /usr/bin/skype: line 10: /opt/skype/skype: Success
> >
> > even though /usr/bin/skype and /opt/skype/skype clearly exist.  What
> > you're saying makes sense about gcc-4* not being necessary, but then
> > why the above-referenced bug?
>
> Take the statically linked version? And, no, I do not know about that
> bug, I'm lucky enough not to have Skype installed any more.
>
> > > BTW: IMO skype should not be allowed near a computer that needs to be
> > > "hardened" -- personally, I do not trust it a bit (and I know a little
> > > about the quality how it is written, and it talks by network).
> >
> > What would you recommend as an alternative?  From what I understand, I
> > could sign up with a voip service and install a client.  Would you
> > recommend any in particular, both service and client?
>
> If you need it user-friendly, then maybe wengo, or ekiga. AFAIK both
> work over the SIP protocol, so you can replace the client with whatever
> else comes to your path and speaks it.

I can't believe it but I get the same error with wengo:

$ wengophone
/opt/bin/wengophone: line 10: /opt/wengophone/qtwengophone: No such
file or directory
/opt/bin/wengophone: line 10: /opt/wengophone/qtwengophone: Success

Maybe a hardened profile on a laptop is more trouble than it's worth.
skype, wengo, firefox-bin all won't work with this same type of error.
 vmware won't work either and I bet it's the same problem.

- Grant