On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 13:09 -0600, Dan Farrell wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 13:41:06 -0500

> I don't run iptables on my laptops.  Instead, I choose to run only a
> few secure services and then proceed to not worry about it.

hmmm - another target.

Firewalls can be viewed as a waste of time on a perfect system - but
what system is ever perfect?

Can you guarantee that no services that are untrustworthy will EVER run
on the machine - think accidental installs?  A couple of years back we
(local lug) had an incidence of a windows virus listening on a network
port of a linux machine - apparently something to do with running an
infected application under wine.  Its what you dont know that will bite
you.

Can you guarantee that there is never a bug in your software that might
leave you exposed?

Can you guarantee that you have have NEVER mis-configured a service or
application?

Thought not ...

Think layered defences
BillK