On Friday 14 December 2007, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Mick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >> Would I likely be opening my lan up for some christmas shopping by
> >> having a gentoo guest on a WinXP host running as a DMZ machine?
> >> It would be pretty barebones with a IPTABLE setup for logging and
> >> tagging or whatever I get interested in doing with the traffic.
> >>
> >> No X server or other frills.
> >
> > A rather simpler solution to do this would be to get hold of hub, connect
> > it to the firewall and watch everything that passes through it.
>
> I do have an older hub, but not sure what you mean here.  The hub has
> no network address and  of course is not switched so anything going
> thru it can be filtered with tcpdump.  But the router is switched.
> Not sure how a hub would see the outfacing address.  I'd be able to
> see all the lan machines that were going thru it, but how about the
> traffic that the firewall is rejecting?  Thats what I'm after.
>
> Can you elaborate a little?
>
> Maybe you mean something different by `hub'.

I mean a hardware hub, not a switch and not a router.  You need to place it
in-line between your router/switch and your modem.  Being on the WAN side of
your NAT it will 'see' all the packets that go to/from the Internet
(unfiltered).  On the other side of the router you get the filtered traffic
which when compared/contrasted with the WAN side will show you what the
router and it's firewall are doing.  I hope this is a bit clearer, otherwise
please email me if you think this is getting off topic.
--
Regards,
Mick