David Relson wrote:
> IMHO, python is a very nice object oriented language and C++ is no
> better (unless you need particular features of the language).  I
> suspect C++ runs somewhat faster, but that's not the issue here.  As I
> understand, portage needs to deal with lots of special cases and
> exceptions to the general rules for updating package.  Special cases
> and exceptions always lead to complications and messy code.  Switching
> languages doesn't help a situation like this.

C++ is most certainly going to yield faster programs since it is a
machine compiled language and python is interpreted.  But that's not the
idea behind portage.  It's all about using the right tools for the job.
 I do all my research code in C++ because I need good memory management
and I need speed.  But python is far easier to code in, doesn't need to
be compiled, and is pretty dang elegant.  It's also pretty platform
independent, which is also nice.

--
Randy Barlow
http://electronsweatshop.com