I've figured out how to force a hard lockup on my system, by trying to
log on to my ADSL service when the modem is switched off.  Yeah, I know...
Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I do that.
Doctor: In that case... *DON'T DO THAT*.

  During one such lockup, I discovered that Magic SysRq doesn't work in
X.  For those of you who haven't heard of it...
less /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sysrq.txt

  The feature that I wanted to access was the ability to force an
emergency sync of the disks before powering off the system.  This would
require simultaneously pressing {ALT}{SysRq}s after which I want to
force a boot with {ALT}{SysRq}b

  This does work in a true textmode, but not in X.  Fortunately,
Reiserfs' journalling saved my neck, but I'd rather not have to shut
down a machine that hasn't been synced.  Is there a way to tell X to
pass through the {ALT}{SysRq}<random key> combo?

--
Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
I'm not repeating myself