On Wednesday 19 December 2007, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
> On Mittwoch, 19. Dezember 2007, Philip Webb wrote:
> > 071218 Sergey Kobzar wrote:
> > > - ReiserFS looks unsupported now
> >
> > What do you base that assessment on ?  It's true
> > that RFS 4 was going nowhere even before its creator's legal problems,
> > but RFS 3 is still well-supported as a Gentoo pkg, isn't it ?
>
> reiserfs is still supported by its devs. It is just in maintenance-mode. No
> features added, just bug fixes. Some people confuse that with
> 'unsupported'.
>
> And one look at the reiserfs-ml would show all the people claiming that
> reiserfs or reiser4 are unsuppored wrong.

I have been using reiserfs since 2003/04 on all sort of different boxen and
xfs on /usr/portage on my laptop for the last two years.

I set up reiserfs for everything except /boot on a particular desktop machine,
which had some incompatible memory modules on a super-sensitive MoBo that
caused it to crash as often as twice a day, some times more.  Over a period
of two years this amounts to an awful lot of crashes midstream of emerging
packages, updating portage and what not.  I never lost any data, although
once I ended up with all the access rights on some files being switched to
0000.  More recently said box corrupted a reiserfs partition (due to some
handfisted action of mine) while it was clearing out ccache.  A --fix-fixable
wouldn't cut it, but --rebuild-tree got it back up on its feet in no time.

On the other hand, my laptop's xfs /usr/portage partition has corrupted itself
irreparably at least 3-4 times so far, on a healthy battery.  That said it's
been behaving well over the last year or so.

I don't mean to generalise with the above observations, which may well be not
representative of the respective file systems.  However, I built a SUSE
machine last month for a small office and I had no hesitation using reiserfs
for all partitions including lvm.

YMMV.
--
Regards,