I've tried to run through the instructions at
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_rtl8187.

The kernel is configured per that guide, and I get the message:
usbcore: registered new interface driver rtl8187

When I try to run ifconfig wlan0 up, however, I get:
wlan0: unknown interface: no such device

I get the same result if I run ifconfig wlan up (net.wlan is the symlink that
I set up in /etc/init.d)

The wireless section of my /etc/conf.d/net file reads
mode_wlan="managed"
wpa_supplicant_wlan="-Dwext -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant_RTL8187.conf"
config_wlan=( "dhcp" )
dhcp_wlan="-R -G"

wpa_supplicant has been emerged.

Jeff