"Mark Shields" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> If I remember correctly, flags like this are not recommended to enable.  GCC
> can already pass the appropriate flags, such
> as MMX and SSE, to programs when compiling; the fact that this ebuild has
> optional use flags for this setting is a red
> flag, in my opinion.  I would recommend researching possible problems you may
> have before building any programs with the
> MMX use flag.

The mmx (and sse, sse2 etc) use flags do not normally have anything to
do with the gcc -mmmx etc flags. Normally in a configure for a package
they will cause a optimised assembler to be included for certain functions
rather than using 'generic' C code for them. In ebuilds the mmx USE
flag normally selects these configure options when building the package,
so (unlike using CFLAGS=-mmmx) are quite safe in most cases.