On Saturday 22 December 2007 10:30:45 am Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:

> > I think I'm getting closer now.
> > I removed the driver from the kernel, and installed ndiswrapper.
> > I got the inf driver from a guy from realtek, and used
> > ndiswrapper -i drivername.inf  to install it.
> >
> > Now, when I run
> > iwlist wlan0 scanning, I can actually see my access point listed, plus
> > lots of other local wireless networks.
>
> That's good. It actually receives.
>
> > connecting to it is a different matter, however, as the connection always
> > appears to time out.  I'm using iwconfig to manually set the ESSID, wep
> > key etc. at the moment, and have tried the trick of setting the speed
> > manually to 5.5M to avoid timeouts.
> >
> > When I try to run dhcpcd wlan0 the first time, I get Error, wlan0: timed
> > out The second time I try to run it, I get an error because dhcpcd is
> > already running.
>
> Try the minimal approach first and configure it manually using
> ifconfig/route and ping some host on your network (or the AP if it does
> IP). If that does not work, there's something wrong with the driver, if
> it does, the culprit is dhcpcd (vram USE flag?).

Just to clarify, how would I ping a host on my network?  I only have one other
PC connected to the router.
If that is not possible, due to wireless router firewall stealthing (I have a
rather crash-prone Belkin wireless router at the moment), the next attempt
would presumably be to ping the AP.
If I have an AP MAC address, 00:15:E9:19:73:F2 (for example), how would I ping
this?

I have checked the dhcpcd install, and the vram USE flag is presently unset.
Does this flag need to be set?

> Start with WEP, if that works switch to WPA.

I've given up on WPA for now.  If I can get WEP to work, I'll be happy at this
point, though WPA operation would be the ultimate goal.
Is ndiswrapper meant to work with the 2.6.23 kernel?  I don't want to have to
step down to an earlier kernel, as that causes problems with changing Xorg
configurations, but I could go through the pain of this if it were strictly
necessary.

Thanks

Jeff