> > Be interested to hear from anyone else this has
> ever
> > happened to.
> >
> > Maxim
>
> Do you mean the host PC shutsdown? And by sda1, do
> you mean you're installing
> to a NTFS partition and not to a virtual hard disk?
> Do I understand right
> that the installation of XP went OK but booting
> fails? Or are you trying to
> boot an installed XP from vmware?

vmware hasn't even been merged yet. _Booting_ both
OSes is OK. XP fails; gentoo does not. If I'm not
mistaken XP has to at least work before vmware will.

> Anyway, my experience with such sudden failures were
> usually linked to either
> processor heat or Power Supply being not strong
> enough. But it was never
> linked to vmware.
>
> Thierry

I'm guessing it's my video card, a Radeon 9250, not
playing nice w/XP. As I said earlier the only thing
installed was the video drivers. Both sets of XP
drivers were tried, the ones that come with XP and the
ATI ones that came on a CD with the card. When _no_
video drivers are installed the PC doesn't commit
suicide. When either set of available XP drivers are
tried the PC randomly dies.

If it's the PS surely gentoo would fail as well since
I run that(with the gentoo-ATI drivers BTW) for days
on end without a problem running various players,
merging software, moving files etc.

Too much heat? Well, it was running hot as a matter of
fact earlier before XP started to tank. The CPU was
covered with thick brown dust but cleaning it out
didn't help.

To test my theory, today I ordered an nVidia Geforce
vid card off eBay.

I should know in a couple weeks how accurate the
diagnosis ;)

-mw