On Sunday 23 December 2007, Grant wrote:

> > When the grub menu comes up, hit e twice and then try to use tab
> > completion to find it and the arrow keys to navigate.  That may
> > help. Tab completion works like it does in a console.  Sort of neat
> > really.
>
> Great!  Tab competion is awesome.  I had to specify the path like so:
>
> kernel /kernel-2.6.22-hardened-r8 root=/dev/sda3
>
> instead of /boot/kernel-2.6.22-hardened-r8.  Does anyone know why that
> might be?  Thanks Dale.

The path you specify in the "kernel" line is relative to the partition
specified in the "root" line (which should be tha partition whose
filesystem contains the kernel image). If your /boot is on a separate
partition, this means that using "kernel /boot/kernel...." would be
incorrect, since there is no /boot directory in the partition mounted
in /boot. Rather, all the files are located at the first level (from
grub's (hd0,0) standpoint).