I just upgraded my kernel from 2.6.19 to 2.6.23 and it takes almost a
minute for X to start now.

I have changed window managers (normally ctwm, tested with twm) with the
same results.  I rebooted the 2.6.19 kernel and X fires right up as
expected.  Booting back to 2.6.23 and it's excruciatingly long.

I saw some prior posts which indicated a network problem, but in that
case the OP said that the loopback interface wasn't up.  I checked my
system (ifconfig) and both lo and eth0 are up and running.

I do have this error from startx, though:
Couldn't establish a connection to :9202: IO::Socket::INET: Bad hostname ':9202'

I forgot to check if I had that error when running 2.6.19...  I tried
a web search for this type of error and came up empty.  What part of X
would this error be from?

Thanks!

--
-M

There are 10 kinds of people in this world:
        Those who can count in binary and those who cannot.