Am Donnerstag 03 Januar 2008 21:59:59 schrieb Vernon A. Fort:
> We switched from a cisco router to using a gentoo box with mutiple nics
> - all appears to be working very well.  However, i ran into a major
> problem when one of my PC's went  nuts.  It flooded the network with
> "unknown protocol" which I saw from tcpdump.

What protocol number was is? Maybe you could enable the protocol in the Linux
Kernel and then filter it and apply routing rules.
What is the router doing usually and how did the flooding bring your network
down? Maybe just preventing the router from routing unwanted protocols
already help and you don't actually need a bandwidth limiter.

Sascha