This is what I know from past resources of ICQ, at least: even if someone is
not on your contact list, you can send and e-mail to something like <UIN>@
SOMETHING.icq.com and the message will arrive to that user.
For other protocols, I don't even know how to help you.
Hmm, when you install pidgin, it also installs a text-based IM software, for
you to use from a console. Maybe you should take a look at that.

Regards,

Saffi

--
Ricardo Saffi Marques
Laboratório de Administração e Segurança de Sistemas (LAS/IC)