Sorry for taking so long to reply to this - I've been kinda busy with work the last few days.

On 6 Jan 2008, at 17:25, Alan McKinnon wrote:
On Sunday 06 January 2008, Stroller wrote:
Hi there,

I was on #gentoo yesterday asking about autofs & someone recommended
ivman instead.
Which does gentoo-users think I should use?

Dilemmas like this are best resolved by finding out what problem a
technology was designed to solve.

A good example of the kind of problem autofs solves is exporting home
directories on a large server that has many accounts...

... With autofs you essentially tell the server
that this is user joe, it exports his home dir on the fly, creates a
directory /home/joe on his workstation (/home must already exist)and
mounts the NFS export there.

Now, you don't appear to be doing something like that :-)

Many thanks for your reply - it was quite insightful. In fact, autofs would be quite useful for my /mnt/video/[a...z] volumes.

It makes me still wonder, however, why so many people seem to use autofs for /mnt/floppy, /mnt/cdrom &c, tho'!

... the impetus for other solutions
to be developed, like ivman.

My concern over ivman - which looks ideal for much of what I want to do - is that it's not clear if it's maintained. For network mounting / usr/portage I guess I can just use NFS and just stick the mount in the clients' /etc/fstab, but ivman looks great for automounting portable media. As I said in my original posting [1], the state of ivman looks to be in a bit of a mess and I'm kinda reluctant to mess about with it if it's going to be obsolete in a year or two - someone please persuade me this isn't going to happen!! ;)

Stroller.

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/192551 --