On 18 Jan, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
> Am Freitag, 18. Januar 2008 schrieb ext Helmut Jarausch:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I haven't found out how to teach emerge to rsync
>> /usr/portage/packages
>> as well.
>
> This is not was emerge -sync is for. If you want to have _all_ distfiles
> available locall, you have to setup a mirror. AFAIK this is also documented
> somewhere.

No, I have a different situation.
I many several identical machines.
On the 'main' machine I have
FEATURES="buildpkg"
in /etc/make.conf

Then, from time to time I synchronize the other machines.
On these machines,
SYNC="rsync://<my main machine>/gentoo-portage

On the 'slaves' I do
rm -f /usr/portage/metadata/timestamp*
emerge --sync

and I'd like this 'sync' to rsync /usr/portage/packages,
as well, since lateron I do

emerge --update --deep --usepkg world

to avoid length compilation of packages on
each machine.

Currently I need
/usr/bin/rsync -avz --delete --exclude-from=/etc/portage/rsync_excludes
rsync://<main machine>/gentoo-portage/ .
in addition to
emerge -sync

I just wonder if it's possible to tell emerge somewhere to not exclude
the 'packages' subdirectory.

thanks for all your comments,
Helmut.

--