An alternative to running memtest (which is quite easy to do, I might
add) would be to remove the original RAM and see if the computer boots
with the new RAM only.

Alternatively, you could just run memtest, as it is included with many
BIOSs now. It doesn't take long to identify problems, if there are any.
I find that test #5 is the best test for finding problems, however it
tends to keep you in the dark until it's finished the test.

-Hal