On Monday 21 January 2008, Dave Oxley wrote:
> I've got KDE4 installed and running mostly fine. It loses some
> configuration on a log off and on and it shows 2 batteries rather
> than the 1 which is the only one the laptop has! But other than that
> switched to it by default now. How do I prevent a --depclean from
> trying to delete my KDE 3.5 though?

Add your exiting 3.5 package to world, in addition to simply kde itself.

I ran into this almost immediately myself and the fix was:

emerge -avn =kde-meta-3.5.8 =kde-meta-4.0.0

This puts both SLOTs into world and prevents --depclean from nuking them

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com