On Tuesday 29 January 2008, James Ausmus wrote:

> Portage *does not* look at CFLAGS in determining what to rebuild
> (even with -uDN) - portage only looks at USE flags and dependency
> upgrades/versions. Mike is correct in saying that, for packages to be
> recompiled with the new CFLAGS, he would have to recompile that
> package directly. emerge -e world is a good way to do this.\

It's also an excellent way to waste several days of one's life that you
will never get back :-)

If it's only a few packages affected, a much better idea would be to
grep through /var/wherever-portage-puts-it to find the CFLAGS for each
package installed, determine the ones that are not correct, and emerge
just those with 'emerge -n'. How to do this marvellous grepa nd emerge
is left as an exercise for the reader, as I'm much too lazy to figure
it out at almost midnight :-)

If it's most of the system that's affected, then yeah, emerge -e world
is probably easier.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com