There
> > are no channels readily observable to differentiate where sound goes
and
> > to which port with alsa-mixer. The behavior I would like to achieve
is
> > one that will allow me to mute onboard speakers while continuing to
have
> > the headphones receive audio signals. Has anyone ever done this? Any
> > pointers to documentation will be appreciated.
>
> Does it work with Windows? I'd expect such things to be implemented i
> hardware.

Yeah, it worked with Vista, when I first bought and booted it, before I
nuked it off my system. It should be implemented in the hardware but to
save a few gates it is not done. They leave it up to software engineers,
which is alright when you publicly provide the documentation on how to
do it.