Hello, folks --

Most days, I work remotely from the 'ndoze net via rdesktop when I have
to access it for some reason. But the bandwidth there is getting choked
as others follow suit.

I'm thinking I'd have a better time of it if I just had my own little
toybox -- I mean, Windows XP installation -- at home. Sure, I can
dual-boot, but then I lose the whole of my reasons for having a real
OS. And I'd put up another machine, but I have enough anxiety over the
ones I have to maintain already. Why bring that kind of trouble into
your home?

So, the quick question is, is VM Ware the best way to go? I think XP is
still lurking on a partition here... and I do need to run Internet
Extorter, Outlook, etc... pretend I'm in their "domain"...

At any rate, I'm hoping some on the list can give me a leg up on this.

My first question is, what does this mean to me:

* app-emulation/vmware-workstation
     Available versions:  4.5.3.19414-r7 5.5.5.56455 ~6.0.1.55017!f
~6.0.2.59824!f

... when I downloaded the evaluation license and a tar.gz, does that
satisfy the "!f", for example? What do I do with it, then? I do notice
the version number matches.

And the other question I hate to ask -- I'm pretty sure there is one,
but, if there is a Gentoo HOW-TO on this process, where is it and IS IT
UP TO DATE??? ;-)

Any and all pointers welcome!

. . .

I just read through a bunch of stuff on-line, found the vmware overlay,
and I feel less sure of how to proceed than before writing this. '-)

Cheers,

--
 |    |ichael  |   |iggins    \^ /
 michael.higgins[at]evolone[dot]org