On Feb 5, 2008 2:47 PM, Dave Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> Dale beat me to pointing out that you may have missed the parport USE
> >> flag,  most likely the cause of the problem.
>
> > Dale has added the USE flag parport to his too.  Just in case I ever
> > need it.  Mine is not grayed out now either.  That should work.
>
> Dale, thanks for the pointer, and also for proving that enabling the
> parport USE flag should cure the problem Kevin experienced.
>
> > Ain't having all the options neat?  Even if you have to recompile things
> > a lot.   ;-)
>
> It's one of Gentoos' many strong points - *you* choose what *you* want.
>
> I enjoy keeping my systems lean and mean, so I turn off options I don't
> require, rather than including them 'just in case.'
>
> That's the beauty of Gentoo: we have choice.  To each their own.
>
> It's called freedom.
>
> Cheers, Dave

Well, this is weird.  Putting in the parport USE flag causes a change in the
config file that gets built during emergence of hplip: /etc/hp/hplip.conf
now has "pp-build=yes", and hplip is now
willing to probe parallel devices.

This does me no good because it doesn't find any devices, even though the
printer is
powered on, connected, and has been printing just fine.

However, the emphasis is on the fact that the printer prints.  So I'm gonna
spend my time
on getting apache and vmware working.

++ kevin

--