Getting OT but...

Something I like with Raid1 is when I want to upgrade, update or
modify in any way the installation.  I simply degrade the array right
before the modif so that I work on only one device (say sda1) and the
other (say sdb1) become the pre-modif backup.  The the modification is
done at the normal speed of a single drive, not hammed by the slow
writes of the raid1, once done and tested I can re-add sdb1 and sync.

Or if there is any complication during the modif, you get the great
warm feeling of having a perfect backup in sdb1. =)

Simon

On Feb 7, 2008 7:31 AM, Rasmus Andersen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 06:50:57AM -0500, Simon Turner wrote:
> > Hi Rasmus,
> >   you will first need to resize your md device.  Using mdadm, that
> > would be done with --grow (check the man, `mdadm /dev/md123 --grow
> > --size=500G` should do the trick).
>
> Ah yes, thanks for that. For some reason I had not noted that use of
> --grow... mdadm /dev/md0 --grow --size=max did the trick nicely thanks.
>
> >   But that will leave your filesystem intact at the current size, so
> > you'll have to resize the filesystem next.  I know ext2&3 support
> > "growing" but I don't know about other filesystems.
>
> I use LVM(2) and ext3 so I am ok there.
>
> >   However, since it's a simple raid one, you could create a new raid
> > device with one drive, format it at 500G, copy the stuff over from the
> > old raid1, drop the old raid1 device and add it to the new one.
>
> Yes, thats true. But since this is my root, var, home, etc etc that
> would require me to go to single-user mode for the duration of the copy.
> The resync-in-background is much nicer :)
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Cheers,
>
>   Rasmus
> --

When Earth was the only inhabited planet in the Galaxy, it was a
primitive place, militarily speaking.  The only weapon they had ever
invented worth mentioning was a crude and inefficient nuclear-reaction
bomb for which they had not even developed the logical defense. -
Asimov