On Monday 11 February 2008, Patrick Holthaus wrote:
> Hey there!
>
> I wonder why Kmail does not import any gpg keys. For example on this list,
>
> many people sign their messages. But Kmail tells me something like this:
> > Message was signed on xxx with unknown key xxx.
> > The validity of the signature cannot be verified.
>
> OpenPGP is selected in "Crypto Backends" with default keyserver
> http://pgp.mit.edu
> Automatically import keys and certificates is also selected.

I use hkp://subkeys.pgp.net as my default keyserver and do not seem to have
such a problem (unless I open a new message offline, which has a new key that
has not been imported yet from the keyserver).

KGpg has a 'Refresh keys from server' selection in the menu that will do
exactly that when you're on line, or bring back an error if a connection
cannot be established (e.g. because you are off-line, the server does not
accept connections, or the particular keys are not published on that server).
Ditto if you run:

$ gpg --refresh-keys

HTH.
--