On Friday 15 February 2008, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 10:09:37 +0100, pat wrote:
> > One of my coligues used this "rm -rf /" command on his ext3
> > partition as root ... of course :-( He removes about 50% of data.
> > And my question is: is there a utility to undelete the files and
> > directories or at least some files? I know that this shouldn't be
> > possible but data are worth to ask :-)
>
> He could try photorec from the testdisk package, but mount the
> filesystem ro immediately to reduce any further damage. The output
> from photorec isn't pretty and will take a lot of work to sort out
> what is worth keeping, but that is all part of the learning process
> :P

Neil, you are a master of understatement :-)

pat, it might be possible to get some stuff back, IF he remounted ro
immediately and IF not much writing to the disk happened in the
meantime.

However, by the time you are done it is usually not worth the effort it
took. It's easier to reinstall and restore backups. But if there are
some irreplaceable files on that disk, you have no choice. good luck to
him.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com