On 02/20/08 11:02, Alan McKinnon wrote:
On Wednesday 20 February 2008, Stéphane ANCELOT wrote:
Hi,
I made a silly mistake :
emerge --unmerge python*

now emerge does not work anymore since it needs python !!!

Any idea ?
Best Regards
Steph

Oops.

An easy way is to get a quickpkg tarball of python from another machine and unpack that to /

Or just untar the one on a recent install disk and re-install python. If all else fails I could send you a copy of python-2.5.1-r5 which is about 8M large

For insurance, I keep quickpkg copies of critical stuff - python, gcc, glibc, portage - for just in case i make this same dumb mistake again myself

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

I just made the same mistake, was running revdev-rebuild and an error showed up regarding python block another package, without much thinking I unmerged python :-/

How can I install it manually?

Can I just copy python directory from from x86 machine to AMD64, if so which one do I need just to get the emerge working?

--
#Joseph