On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Grant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >  > >  > I have a USB sound card and an internal sound card in my laptop.
>  Is
> >  > >  >  there a way to switch between them while the system is booted?
>  Is
> >  > >  >  module loading/unloading via modprobe the best way to do it?
> >  > >  >
> >  > >  >  - Grant
> >  > >  >  --
> >  > >  >  gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
> >  > >  >
> >  > >  >
> >  > >
> >  > >  Why switch between them when you can use them both at the same
> time as
> >  > >  hw:0 and hw:1?
> >  >
> >  > Thanks Mark.  After studying your config, here is mine:
> >  >
> >  > alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
> >  > options snd-hda-intel index=1
> >  > options snd-hda-intel model=acer
> >  >
> >  > alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio
> >  > options snd-usb-audio index=0
> >  >
> >  > alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
> >  > alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
> >  >
> >  > alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
> >  > alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
> >  > alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss
> >  >
> >  > options snd cards_limit=2
> >  >
> >  > I get sound from the USB card but not from the internal card
> >  > (snd-hda-intel).  How can I tell the system to turn off the USB card
> >  > and turn on the internal card?
> >  >
> >  > - Grant
> >  >

> >  You might want to take a look at the new pulseaudio daemon. I don't use
> >  it but as far as I know it's perfect for complex setups like yours.
> >  Think of it as a (transparent, if necessary) layer between your
> software
> >  and alsa. It should be easier to reconfigure than alsa.
> >
> >  You could use it (or the older the older jack daemon) to send audio to
> >  both devices.
>
> Alright, but it seems like ALSA has some native support for multiple
> cards.  Does anyone have more than one sound card and the ability to
> switch between them in native ALSA?

I did a lot of search sometime back to get this solved... my blog entry on
this is at the following link.
http://defectivecompass.wordpress.com/2007/12/05/alsa-configuration/

I would also recommend you to take a look a pulseaudio (I have an entry for
that on my blog as well). Hot switching of audio streams between devices is
really cool!

_r