Alan McKinnon wrote:

>>> And it's not A rename the OP wants to do - check the thread title

> Yes, he does want to rename files - tons of them per the title.

Well...

> As in, the same behaviour you get from 'ren *.txt *.doc' in Windows and
> DOS. This gets exceptionally painful on *nix if you have a few thousand
> *.txt files

What exactly makes doing
rename .txt .doc *.txt
so exceptionally painful?
OK, if the expanded command line exceeds the length limit, one might
have to combine the above with something like xargs. But I feel neither
pain with that nor the need to write a script or install KDE.

Anyway, this gets purely academic since the OP already said that he
could accomplish what he wanted to by using rename.

Regards
  mks