On 2 Mar 2008, at 21:20, maxim wexler wrote:

The best format for line drawings is a vector format
like svg.
With a vector format the image can be scaled to any
size and still
stay sharp.

Can it be viewed by someone who only has Explorer?

Depends on what software they have installed.

If you mean "Internet Explorer" then I have no idea whether it can be viewed in the browser itself, but the file can surely be downloaded.

Been working with xcircuit. It saves in PS but can be
made into a jpeg which looked just as sharp as the
original.

If you zoom into that jpeg fat enough you will see pixillation. I don't think this will be the case with the postscript file, which is indeed a vector (or vectorish?) format.

You're better off converting the PS file to PDF - PDF is fairly postscript-based, so this is an easy conversion, and PDF supports vector-based drawings (as well as bitmaps).

If you zoom in on a curve on the PDF using Acrobat (or whatever) you should find that you never see pixillation at all - this is the joy of vectors. Admittedly this is a fairly moot point with a small schematic, but I would imagine it would be considered far more elegant for much larger ones or (particularly) for PCB layouts.

Stroller.