Grant Edwards wrote:
I'm behind a firewall that doesn't allow rsync connections, so
I did a emege-webrsync.  It appears to have downloaded and
installed a current snapshot and updated the portage cache:

  sent 9492088 bytes  received 762706 bytes  585988.23 bytes/sec
  total size is 152597091  speedup is 14.88
  cleaning up
  transferring metadata/cache
>>> Updating Portage cache: 100% *** Completed websync, please now perform a normal rsync if possible.
       Update is current as of the of YYYYMMDD: 20080310
I can't find any documentation that explains what "a normal
rsync" is or how somebody like me can perform one.

What is meant by "perform a normal rsync"?

I assume it would mean the normal "emerge --sync" if you can, which you can't. I would assume it would say this since the rsync would be more up to date then the webrsync snapshot....

Shawn