On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 18:27:22 +0000 (UTC)
James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a firewall that is built pretty minimally on a P3 and
> and old 4 gig ide disk:
>
> /dev/hda3              2068348   1668104    400244  81% /
> /dev/hda1               100728     40452     60276  41% /boot
>
> I have a 4 gig Cf card (sandisk) and a ide-cf card that should
> make the CF card look like an ide hard drive.
>
> I've been searching for a wiki or something that describes the general
> sequence of events to migrate the existing gentoo system to the
> CF/ide disk, with no luck.
>
> I did find this page:
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/Mounting_a_block_device_with_JFFS2
>

> But it seems vague(outdated) and missing many steps. Or
> am I confused? I'm just looking for some outline or verbose
> steps to replace an ide drive on a system with a CF/ide drive
> and jffs2, as I have many systems that I'd like to do this with,
> for core reliability on minimalistic gentoo servers. I plan
> on having additional space on these systems (when needed)
> via NFS.
>

> Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated.
>

> James

You shouldn't need to do anything special - just copy all files over
exactly, and then set up GRUB on the CF card.

Your biggest problem is you need to cut 75% from your installation.
Delete portage, logs, and so on to do so.  You can mount portage from
NFS later.  You might also have to uninstall X and all desktop
environments to get it that small -- assuming you can do so, it's a
good idea.