On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Dan Farrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 10:00:41 -0700
>  "Mark Knecht" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>  > On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 12:22 AM, Jamie Dobbs
>  > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  > > I've been away from Gentoo for the last year or so and using Ubuntu
>  > > but find that I want to return to Gentoo simply because of the
>  > > level of customization that I can do with it.
>  >
>  > Well then, welcome back.
>  >
>  > <SNIP>
>  > >  Also I'm not running at Athlon X2 system, ifs there any _real_
>  > > advantage to running AMD64 or should I still to x86?
>  >
>  > I run an amd64 as my desktop system. It' started as my 3rd machine so
>  > at the time it was 64-bit for fun. today I just live with it. There
>  > are some limitations on the 64-bit platform with web-based media, but
>  > beyond that I find 32 and 64-bit machines to be pretty similar in
>  > performance. I run old windows games under Wine on 64-bit and they
>  > work OK. I think Flash and Java have been the two larger issues for me
>  > over time. A few win32codec issues also. However if I wanted to get
>  > around those I could probably do something in a chroot but I'm not
>  > that motivated.
>  >
>  > If I was building a desktop machine today I wouldn't build 64-bit. I
>  > see no advantage and a few disadvantages, but either way you go you'll
>  > probably be fine.
>
>  I use a 64 bit myself and have done so ever since I got tired of
>  running 32bit and wasting half my CPU.  I recommend running a 32bit
>  firefox, but other than that, there's no real problems here.  Wine
>  seems to run a little better in 64 bit than I've seen it perform on
>  other systems but it's hard to be sure.
>
>  Anyhow, just wanted to say I switched from 64 to 32 originally, as Mark
>  suggested, and switched back very quickly.  I don't know if the speed
>  really changed, but it made me feel better about myself.

It's an interesting question and one I've not tried to test. Does an
AMD64 machine running a 32-bit or 64-bit install run faster or slower
with one or the other. For all of my everyday work - Gnome, Firefox,
web browsing, email, MythTV, etc., it's been my assumption that there
wouldn't be any noticeble difference. I run 64-bit but assume I'd run
at more or less the same speed if I ran 32-bit. I may be wrong. Anyone
have any measured data? Same machine, two installs?

I should see about 1) getting my chroot working again and then 2)
getting it to boot and doing a check.

Thanks,
Mark