On 2008-03-17, Rik Koenig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 11:44 AM, Grant Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> According to the docs at
>> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Setup_Samba#Using_CIFS,
>> the following command should work:

>>   -o
>> "username=<user>,uid=<uid>,iocharset=cp850,dir_mode=0770,file_mode=660"
>>
>> That doesn't work for me.  I get this error:
>>
>> mount -t cifs //sidewinder/temp_xfer /mnt/tmp -o [...]
>> mount error: improperly formatted UNC name. /sidewinder/temp_xfer does not
>> begin with \\ or //
>> mount error 22 = Invalid argument
>>
>> mount.cifs works fine.  The only way I can get mount to work is
>> to use backslashes for the UNC path.  When support for
>> forward-slahses in UNC paths get broken?
>>
>> --
>> Grant
>>

>> --
>>

> This error is actually described in the gentoo-wiki page just under that
> command example: '*Warning:* Recent versions of "mount" don't support
> forward slashes in UNC path names as shown above -- you must use
> backslashes.'

I know, I added that warning.

> However, forward slashes are working for me with samba 3.0.28 and util-linux
> 2.13-r2.

I've got samba 3.0.28 and util-linux 2.13-r2, and forward
slashes don't work for me.  I pasted in the command from the
wiki page almost exactly as shown (changed the hostname and
sharename), and it didn't work.  I also found a number of reports
of the exact same problem in various other places (Ubunto
forums for example). Perhaps I should edit the warning on the
wiki page to say that sometimes backslashes work, and sometimes
they don't.

--
Grant