On 21 Mar 2008, at 10:33, Florian Philipp wrote:
... both cards are cofigured for 54 MBit/s
... I only get about 13 MBit/s, both on NFS and scp.

I'd be really quite happy with that.

As BillK remarks, 50% of your 54 Mbit is consumed by protocol overhead. You're probably going to tell us that the two machines are currently right next to each other, so losing an additional 50% to interference & other intangibles might seem at first sight unreasonable, but I doubt you'll ever do any better than that, and you could waste a lot of time trying.

Wireless is for surfing on the sofa - you can easily get eighty times this throughput with a cable, so investing time & energy in trying to get a two-times performance increase is a poor return.

Stroller.