This One Time, at Band Camp, Liviu Andronic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said, On Tue,
Mar 25, 2008 at 09:03:29AM +0100:
> >  But you can boot from a LiveCD, mount your harddrive, chroot and then
> >  give root another password.

> But then, conventional passwords are as useless. One needs no more
> than physical access to the computer, a LiveCD and a couple minutes in
> order to become the super user of your system. Basically, the password
> seems useful only to know whether anyone has changed it behind your
> back.

> I am starting to wonder why am I so attached to my root password being
> strong.. :)
> Liviu
That's why I have my entire installation over a DM-CRYPT ( LUKS
encrypted partition... ), including swaps and storage ( LVM over
DM-CRYPT actually), this way even if someone had a physical access to
my laptop, both GRUB and LiveCD approach would be useless...

--
Wael Nasreddine
http://wael.nasreddine.com

/ö\ Son, this is the only time I'm ever gonna say this.  It is not okay to
/ö\ lose.
/ö\
/ö\                    -- Homer Simpson
/ö\               Dead Putting Society