Florian Philipp wrote:
<snip>
FWIW, AntiVir, Bitdefender, and F-Prot run quite well on Linux, and each has BOTH Linux and Windows Trojan and virus signatures. So you can install these and scan your windows box, and then scan your Linux box/downloads for malware (e.g. openoffice files, media files, etc.).

Add Dazuko, and you can get real-time scanning of your Linux box while downloading/compiling software.

This is getting OT but I still want to ask:
Is it really necessary to run an anti-virus on linux? I just want to
hear some opinions on that topic because I thought security fixes for
your software are the way to go for fighting virae on linux.

Anti-Virus on Linux.  No.
(presuming that you don't run as root, and have lots of unprivileged users for individual applications.)

Anti-Malware on Linux.  Yes.
(Malware gets to the box via spoofed or hacked software distribution or creation sites; bad links or poisoned DNS caches; or via (e.g.) browser memory attacks - at plugins or exploits)

The oldtimers will tell you that safe hex and perhaps integrity monitoring (e.g. Samhain or tripwire) are all that's needed. But desktop Linux with Browsing, IM, etc. is changing that, IMHO.

The three packages above have Linux Trojan and Rootkit signatures, as well as Windows malware sigs. Easy enough to run an occasional scan of the Linux box (or Windows partition); and to scan each Linux download before reading, compiling, or passing on.

(Dazuko additionally allows realtime scans of compilation read/writes).

IMHO, Linux and MAC are the next frontier for malware, and -SADLY- AntiMalware signature and heuristic techniques are one thing we can learn about from Windows :-(