On Thursday 27 March 2008, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 20:33:53 +0200, Uwe Thiem wrote:
> > > I'd say, try http.
> >
> > Jeez. You didn't read the original posting, did you? It's FTP, period.
>
> It's FTP, which is blocked by the firewall, so use only HTTP mirrors
> in /etc/make.conf. There is no requirement to use FTP for downloads. If
> rsync is also blocked, use emerge-webrsync to update the portage tree
> over HTTP.

 export ftp_proxy=XXX.XX.XXX.XX:80 && emerge -uaDv world, should do what
you're after.  You can also try export http_proxy of course.  It assumes that
you know the LAN IP address of your web gateway/firewall at work - i.e. that
your work's MSWindows configuration allows plain users to view the MSIE
Internet Settings, or your sysadmin will let you know what the address is.  If
not, boot a LiveCD on a works computer, mount its MSWindows C:\ drive and
search for "proxy".  It should lurk somewhere in the registry settings.
BartsPE CD will also help you find that, as it can search natively the
registry.

BTW, if this is anything like my work, then only outbound connections to port
80 are allowed and rsync will not work.  Follow the webrsync advice above.

HTH.
--
Regards,
Mick