On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 4:48 PM, Johann Schmitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Hi!
>
>  About several month ago I got 2 mysql instances (4.xx and 5.xx) running on
> the same machine.
>
>  The (very) quick guide:
>
>  * Emerge, setup, etc mysql in the outer system
>  * setup a chroot with an complete stage3
>  * chroot into the new one
>  ** emerge mysql
>  ** setup mysql (use a different ip or at least a different port then the
> outer system!)
>  ** Note: You have to uncomment the "need net" line in the mysql init
> script, cause the network is already up
>  * Mount /usr/portage/, /dev/, /proc/ with bind in the chroot
>  * Create a fake initscript wich simply invokes the mysql initscript in the
> chroot
>  ** Add this one to the default runlevel
>
>  I wrote a step-by-step guide, but: Its in german ;)
>  Maybe i find some time to translate it into englisch...

I don't understand why use a chroot to simply run another instance of
MySQL. Is there any good reason?
All you gotta do is create a new configuration file that points to a
different database location and uses a different port, and clone and
edit another /etc/init.d/mysql script to point to the new config file.

A chroot would be just a waste of space, since you can use the same
binary for multiple instances.