Hi All,

An interesting theoretical question. I have a K6-2 with a SATA card sitting in it, with two drives, which are happily soft-mirrored, with LVM layered on top, and a nice big iSCSI partition that gets shared to my laptop whenever it's home.....

It runs postfix (with all the associated tools, amavisd, sqlgrey, spamassassin), mysql, apache, IMAP etc etc etc I would *really* not like to have to re-install, and re-set up.

I am thinking of upgrading the dead PC I have in the house, that would go to an Athlon 64X2, which would be more than adequate for a desktop, even with all of these services running.

So, the question. What would I have to do in order that I could build the new system, shutdown the old one, pull the drives, plug them into the new one, turn it on, and have it actually work?

Obviously a kernel recompile (probably make allyesconfig, or makeallmodconfig), and a lilo change (since this machine won't boot from SATA since the spec didn't exist when it was first turned on...).

But what else? Will mtune=k6-2 make executables that will run on an Athlon 64? Anyone tried this? Would I get to a point where I could make -e world and have a nice working system?

Regards

Anthony