On 4/13/08, Willie Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 02:39:09PM -0700, Penguin Lover Kevin O'Gorman
> squawked:
>
> > What I want now is to let my wife's Windows Vista  laptop use the
> printer.
> > I've seen how to set up an LPD printer in Vista, and it's a bit easier
> than
> > it was in XP.  However, it does not work at all -- I cannot print a test
> > page.  The Vista box seems to think everything's fine, but nothing
> > happens at the printer.
> >
> > The Vista machine is connected via wireless to my LAN,  where CUPS is
> > working, and where a NAT router also gives access to the wider
> > internet.  It seems that this should work,  but it does not.
>

> So, something got lost somewhere between your vista box and your cups
> server, eh? Some logs would be nice. (On vista, open up the print
> queue, and see if there are any errors; on gentoo, give us
> /var/log/cups/, preferably trimmed to show just before you tried to
> send a print job from the laptop and just after.)

On vista, it pops up a dialog saying a test page has been sent.  I don't see
any
queued jobs for this.

On cups/gentoo, there's no sign of activity.  The logs don't add a single
line, even with logging set to "debug".

Right now I'm trying to clean up the configuration.  The logs for startup
show some problems with ports which I'm having some trouble deciphering.  I
only get a few minutes per day to work on this, so it goes slowly.

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD