Francesco Talamona wrote:
On Saturday 19 April 2008, Gyuszk wrote:
I can unmount my /boot and /home partitions but I just can't
remount my root device to be readonly. (Linux says it is busy.) What
should I do with this?

1.) Should I edit my Grub menu.lst to make a new entry with "single
ro" kernel parameteres?
2.) Of course I can fsck from (for example) a LiveCD (like Gentoo
minimal cd), but at the present I don't have any of these.
3.) Other solution?

Of course: it's in use :-)

Two options:

1) force partition check with the following command (seen recently in this list)
shutdown -Fr

2) create the file /forcefsck
touch /forcefsck
then reboot, during shutdown you'll see "A full fsck will be forced on next startup" and then "Checking root filesystem (full fsck forced)"

See the scripts /etc/init.d/halt.sh, /etc/init.d/checkfs and /etc/init.d/checkroot to see all the "nuts and bolts"

Ciao
        Francesco

Thanks a lot! I'll give a deep look at the mentioned files.
Anyway I think I'll set my fstab. Now all my partitions are set to "never fsck" at boot time. :)