Justin wrote:
Why are you doing things without knowing about the consequences? Always ask before you are doing things which could be stupid!!!

I think you're being a little harsh. :-) Usually, unmerging a package that is blocking another package has, in my limited experience, always solved the problem. I probably would have fallen victim to this had I not been reading the problems that others have had.

No matter, my intention is not to start a war and this is too late for the people that have already caused themselves grief by removing coreutils. However, once I read the problems that others have encountered when they did this, I searched the forums. A post from earlier this year saved my butt! This is the command that was suggested and worked fine for me:

emerge -C mktemp && emerge -uavDNt world

Hopefully, it will help others who have not yet become Gentoo gurus.

Regards,

Colleen.

--

Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org