080419 Volker Armin Hemmann & Mick discussed:
M> a box running vanilla KDE is taking an awful long time
M> to exit the KDE session when I shutdown.
VAH> lsof & grep can tell you which files are accessed.
VAH> Maybe it takes a looong time writing to kdm.log
VAH> something that sometimes make my shutdowns extremely slow.
M> How do you mean I need to run lsof?
VAH> Ctrl+Alt+F1 to switch to a console quickly while KDE is shutting down
VAH> and run it from there as root. lsof shows the open files. In my case,
VAH> when shutting down hangs for ages it is always accessing kdm.log.
VAH> But your problem might me be something completly different.
VAH> Are you saving sessions?

I've had the same problem for some time.
There was  1  version of KDE (perhaps 3.5.6/7) which didn't do it,
but then it started again (now 3.5.9).  It saves  11  apps on  10  desktops,
but that shouldn't be taking so long on a fast machine:
after all, it compiles Kdelibs in  17 min  !
In my case, it isn't  kdm.log , as I don't have Kdm installed
(I use 'startx' from a raw command-line after booting).

One way to find out more would be to file a bug with KDE,
but I'ld rather not waste their time, if anyone has further advice.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : [EMAIL PROTECTED]