Hi list!

I found my current XServer-setup very inflexible and would like to hear
some tips for improving it. What I would like to have is a customizable
plug'n'play setup which I can configure without restarting the XServer.

Since I have a notebook, there are many occasions where I have to work
with hardware I don't know and on other occasions I need to use my own
peripheral devices as good as possible. So I need to customize my setup
for the devices I use every day without breaking compatibility with
unknown standard hardware.

So, what's the best way for configuring

1. usage of my own Logitech mouse as well as typical USB-mice and my
touchpad.
2. USB-keyboards as well as the build-in, all with custom multimedia and
Fn-keys.
3. external displays (VGA, DVI, LCD and TV-Out, one at a time would be
enough) with different aspects and resolutions with 3D-acceleration on
my Intel i945.

It should work with a minimum of additional software, no KDE, minimal
GNOME, XFCE preferred.

Thanks in advance!

Florian Philipp